Please wait, loading graph...
Sources: AC Neilson; Census, Statistics New Zealand; New Zealand Tobacco Use Survey, Ministry of Health; New Zealand Health Survey, Ministry of Health; Year 10 Snapshot Survey, Action on Smoking and Health.
1. From July 1989 to March 1996 data were collected from people 16 years and above. Adjustments have been made to estimate the expected proportion of smokers among 15-year-olds by using the results from the older age group.
2. In 2003 data were collected from people aged 18 years and above. Adjustments have been made to estimate the expected proportion of smokers among 15–17-year-olds by using the results from the older age group.
3. Annual AC Nielsen NZ Ltd estimates have been calculated from the average of the quarterly results until 1999. From 2000 annual estimates are derived from the years’ pooled data.
4. The proportion of current smokers aged 15+ in 2008 has been estimated using the NZTUS 2008 data for 15- to 64-year-olds and an estimate (adjusted for gender and ethnic group) based on the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey (Ministry of Health 2008a) for those aged 65+.
5. 2009, 2010 and 2012 datapoints are estimated as the mean of the previous and subsequent years.
6. Since 2013 the proportion of current smokers aged 15+ has come from the NZHS.