Why was this website developed?
This website was developed by the Health Promotion Agency/Te Hiringa Hauora, in conjunction with the Ministry of Health, to provide one place for all New Zealand’s tobacco control data.
What is the Health Promotion Agency/Te Hiringa Hauora?
The Health Promotion Agency is a Crown entity that promotes health and wellbeing, and encourages healthy lifestyles. The HPA works across a range of health topics including:
• tobacco control
• sun safety
• minimising gambling harm
• nutrition and physical activity
What does the Health Promotion Agency/Te Hiringa Hauora do about tobacco control?
The HPA's tobacco control work encourages New Zealanders to reject tobacco and adopt a smokefree lifestyle. This is achieved by reducing the number of people that take up smoking and increasing the number of people that quit. Some of HPA's aims are:
• reducing the number of places where young people are exposed to smoking (including in and around homes and cars, and public and recreational settings)
• reducing media portrayals of tobacco
• increasing young people's ability to resist tobacco
• reducing inequality in smoking uptake among Māori.